Thursday, July 2, 2009

Floating down the river

I so wish I had some pictures of our adventure, but I don't. :(

I have lived in Spokane all my life and had never been in the Spokane River. Of course you don't want to get in anywhere near downtown, but there are other parts that are good.
Last Saturday, the Elders Quorum at church planned an activity to float down the river on tubes and rafts, and since Jon is in the presidency and planned a lot of it we definitely needed to go. I am so glad I did!!!! We dropped the kids off at the church where 3 awesome adults were there and willing to watch all the little buggers! :) Thank you so much! ......and off we went! We all met at the ending point and then car pooled up to where we would begin so we had vehicles at both ends. I was totally expecting the water to be a lot colder than it was, but it wasn't bad at all. Jon and I shared a big tube, it was snug but that's okay it made it fun! At first the water was very calm and we just floated along, then came some little rapids and I thought "wow, is this it!" I was totally expecting it to be more fierce! I just needed to wait! There were more coming! After floating for about an hour we all floated over to the side and had ice cream sandwiches and drumstick cones....so yummy! They were in a cooler in the raft, what a great idea! We then all got back on our tubes and continued down the river......I had no idea how much further we had to go still! Probably about a 1/2 mile or so from our ice cream stop we hit some fast and high rapids and.......flipped our tube right from under us! It happened so fast! We were both wearing life jackets and both know how to swim so it was just another fun adventure! We finally got back on the tube (thank you Maria for helping me!) and continued down the river yet again. It was so beautiful and relaxing....most of the time! And it was so nice to spend the time with Jon, without the kids! After 3 hours of floating.....which did become a long time after 2 hours, we finally reached the end of our journey. We were able to get to know a couple in our ward that we didn't know very well and that was awesome too! Thank you to all of those who helped to plan it! It was a great activity!

A beautiful day, beautiful scenery, my love next to me, good company, relaxation, fun, and time away from the kids!!!! Although it seemed long, it was a great 3+ hours!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I would love to do that sometime!